Friday, November 23, 2012

China, Part III: Shanghai, Days 3-5

August 1

August 1 was spent entirely in the Shanghai Museum, which is probably the best museum I've ever visited. Not only was it impressive - with an array of pre-modern artwork that was more than I could take in at one time - but it was free. I showed up at opening and stayed till it closed at 5:00, but didn't manage to see everything. I wore out 5 pairs of batteries taking pictures, and then by 4:30 finally ran out and wasn't able to take any more pictures for the rest of my visit.

Ancient Sculptures


The Thousand-Buddha Stele. I only counted 700 some.

Kasyapa, a forerunner of the historical Buddha Siddhartha Gautama

Lion sculpture bearing a striking resemblance to Iron Maiden's Eddie

Bronzes

Frog on a giant bronze pot


Pottery and Ceramics

There was so much blue-and-white china here, I deliberately took pictures of stuff that was other colors.



Ceramic that looks like bronze

Ceramic that looks like wood


Seals


Calligraphy


Painting






Still life by Giuseppe Castiglione, a Jesuit missionary and court painter in the Qing Dynasty





I'm sorry that I don't have descriptions for all of these. I actually took pictures of most of the nameplates too, but lost a lot of those pictures when I transferring them to a flash drive that I wasn't aware was corrupted.

August 2-3

On August 2, I didn't do so much: went to get money changed, then walked around to buy souvenirs for people back in Mongolia, and finally had dinner again with my friend. On August 3, I didn't do anything: I caught the train in the morning, and was on the train all the rest of the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment