Monday, May 4, 2015

Ögii Lake

As I mentioned before, Khöshöö Tsaidam was only half of my trip. After that, we visited Ögii Lake (Өгий нуур / Ögii Nuur, also spelled Ogii or Ugii). Ögii Nuur is not only a lake, but also the name of the sum (district) which surrounds it. It lies north of Khashaat sum, and along the same road that connects Kharhorin and Khöshöö Tsaidam. Sometimes people from my town went fishing up here, although according to them, the fish aren't as big as the ones in Tariat.

Овоо тойрон явах - Circumambulating the ovoo
On the way we stopped at an ovoo by the lake. Ovoos often mark boundaries, and if you pass one it is customary to attend to them before continuing with your journey. Usually, this requires walking around it clockwise three times and putting three stones on it.

When we got to the lake, it was melting, but the majority of the surface was covered still covered in ice, sometimes all the way to the shore.


It was often thin ice though. I didn't walk carefully enough, and one of my feet plunged through it. I came in my rubber boots, but the water flooded right in and I had to take it off and dry it off. Luckily, Ögii is very shallow, and I would have had to walk further out to get to a place deep enough to drown.

My feet, before they got wet.

The area was largely bare. The village area was farther away, and spring was still waking up. There were some living things around, but sometimes in surprising places. I found a ladybug out on the ice, but when I picked it up, it shook itself off and flew away. I found two live ladybugs just chilling, literally, on the lake.

One of two live ladybugs I found on the lake
Other hardy life forms included weeds, moss, and of course, lots and lots of lichens, which were colored brightly and covered most of one of the promontories.

Lichens
We didn't see the far side of the lake, but it was beautiful enough where we were, and a fine conclusion to the trip.

Ögii Lake

Ögii Lake

Ögii Lake

The other side of Ögii Lake

A small cliff

Sitting on the shore

Another ovoo

1 comment:

  1. I'm quite surprised that one day later, this post is now Google's fifth search result for "Ögii Lake."

    ReplyDelete