Wednesday, April 4, 2012

MWW 18: Тийм


Cyrillic
тийм

Transcription
tiim
IPA
[thi:m]
Layman’s
Pronunciation
TEEM
Translation
yes; that way, like that, such, so
In Genghis Khan’s time it was teyimü.


Тийм began life as a demonstrative adjective, meaning “that way, like that.” It still serves that function. But it also the normal way of responding affirmatively to a question “yes.” The closest equivalent in English would probably be sayng “It is so.” This is the normal way to respond “yes.” It is also the source of the expression,

Тийм үү?
Oh really?

Confirmation, not Affirmation

In Mongolian “yes” and “no” are used differently than in English. Normally тийм means “yes,” but sometimes it means “no.” It’s translatable as “no” when it is used to answer a negative question.

Өчигдөр хичээлд орсон уу?
Did you come to class yesterday?
Тийм (орсон).
Yes (I did).

but,

Өчигдөр хичээлд ороогүй юу?
Didn’t you come to class yesterday?
Тийм (ороогүй).
No (I didn’t).

In this case, the American says “no” because it echoes the negation in his answer. The Mongolian says “yes” because he is agreeing with the speaker, who asked a negative question. It works the same for Mongolian’s “no,” үгүй.

Өчигдөр хичээлд орсон уу?
Did you come to class yesterday?
Үгүй (ороогүй).
No (I didn’t).

Өчигдөр хичээлд ороогүй юу?
Didn’t you come to class yesterday?
Үгүй (орсон).
Yes (I did).

Out of the many differences between Mongolian and English which cause problems when Mongolians speak English, this tiny difference, which is never mentioned in any books for teaching English, is one of the worst. My counterparts, who otherwise speak great English and always communicate with me in English, continue to do this. And if I’m not careful about how I phrase a question, I’ll ask something like, “Didn’t you teach Lesson 3 on Tuesday?” and they will answer “Yes.” And then I still won’t know whether they taught Lesson 3 or not.

1 comment:

  1. I would be answering wrong most of the time and misunderstanding what a Mongolian was implying. It is amazing that you are becoming so proficient in a language that seems so confusing to us.

    ReplyDelete