Monday, August 27, 2012

MWW 30: Хуушуур


Cyrillic
хуушуур

Transcription
huushuur
IPA
ʊ:ʃʊr]
Layman’s
Pronunciation
HOH-shore
Translation
fried meat dumpling
In Genghis Khan’s time, I’m not sure if it existed.

America has hot dogs and hamburgers, Mongolia has buuz and huushuur. In each case, you’ve got two different, but essentially similar things that have sort of become archetypal. Americans, stereotypically, eat hot dogs and hamburgers, and grill ‘em outdoors on Independence Day or Labor Day. In Mongolia, buuz and huushuur are probably the two foods that people cite as their favorites, and which get hyped as “Mongolian national food.”

Hot dogs and hamburgers are both molded ground meat in a bun. Buuz and huushuur are both ground meat in a dough pocket which is pinched shut with pretty designs. Within this identical basic framework though, they’re way apart. The main difference is that buuz is steamed, but huushuur is deep-fried. Aside from that, they’ve also differentiated themselves in lots of other details. They tend to be pinched with different styles, use different seasoning combinations, and be associated with holidays at opposite times of year.

бууз
хуушуур
steamed
deep-fried
stiff dough
floppy dough
round and compact
long and flat
pinched at the top
pinched along the side
stereotypical Tsagaan Sar food
stereotypical Naadam food

Huushuur with coleslaw or something

Huushuur from the fast food chain Haan Buuz


As often happens in life, the biggest divide seems to occur between the two most similar things. Serbs and Croats. Crips and Bloods. Buuz and huushuur. Personally, I choose huushuur. Which one will YOU choose?

Now I’m hungry.

4 comments:

  1. As for me, I would choose huushuur

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand хуушуур khuushuur is a Chinese loanword (perhaps from 火燒 huǒshāo) and I wouldn't expect to find it attested as far back as in Genghis Khan's days, but just like other loanwords (бууз or боов to stay on topic) it does have a spelling in the traditional alphabet: quušuur (also without the r).

    Of course maybe you knew this and just another joke has flown over my head. Sorry if that is so.

    I hope you're having a peaceful winter, with no shortage of firewood or supplies, and look forward to more of your informative posts this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for giving me the Chinese word! I didn’t know it, but now that you’ve told me, it doesn’t surprise me. In the past, I’ve made the mistake of assuming that words with Mongolian traditional script spellings reflect the pronunciation from Chinggis’s time - forgetting that words borrowed much later could be assimilated to Mongolian and spelled in script too. Interestingly, it was a trip to China that helped me realize it. First, I saw that in Inner Mongolia, everyone still uses the traditional script, so even the most recent loanwords have traditional spellings. Second, I used a Mongolian-Chinese phrasebook, and I noticed that a lot of words, especially food words, were similarly. For example, "pepper" is "чинжүү" in Mongolian and "qingjiao" in Chinese. Because the old Mongolians didn’t grow vegetables, they obviously borrowed the word from China. So I’m not surprised to find out that huushuur was borrowed from China.

      Delete
    2. did you think that it could be quiet opposite, Mongolian words or foods loanword? i know that mongolia before Chinggis Khan used to have flour. China is always trying to take over or copy everything from everywhere, it is very known thing.

      Delete