Saturday, May 21, 2011

Сайн байна уу!

Сайн байна уу (Hello), I'm Andrew and I am a soon-to-be Peace Corps volunteer in Mongolia. I finally have a blog to share what I hope to be many irreplaceable experiences in Mongolia. So, how about starting off with an explanation of my blog's name?

It took me forever to find a good name for this thing, as most of the cool, clever names have been taken in some way or other, but it came down to The Road to Xanadu and my friend Carlos's suggestion, Eye of Tengri. Xanadu, of course, is the name commonly given to the capital city of Khublai Khan, Genghis Khan's grandson and one of the rulers of the Mongol empire. Although I don't think the exact title The Road to Xanadu has been taken on blogspot, there are books with the name, and plenty of stuff on the net that has to do with Xanadu. Obviously Eye of Tengri won. Tengri means "sky," "heaven," and "God." The lord of the skies, Tengri was the spiritual center of the world for the nomadic people of Asia. His name is found in languages all over Asia. In Modern Mongolian it's тенгер (tenger). As he personifies the sky, Tengri is said to have two eyes, the sun and the moon. Because Mongolia is known as the "Land of the Eternal Blue Sky" where the weather is clear and the land is open, everything is always under the eyes of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment